General Notes About Days Off
Ensure that your insurance policy covers you for any activity you choose to do on your day off! The DCC does not cover any cost/insurance/etc. should you get hurt.
- We want you to make the most of your time here in South Africa so we have provided you with some suggestions of acitivites that you may wish to experience during your time here.
- You will be given one day off per week (except the week of the Kruger trip or/and when you arrive at the centre over a weekend the first wednesday will not be an off day).
- Sunday afternoons are designed to give you some free time to relax, read a book, go down to the river etc, they are not supposed to be another day off in which to do an activity which involves a staff member having to transport you around (it provides a small amount of free time for them too).
- We endeavour to give all volunteers the same day off so that you can share travelling costs and experiences.
- As we are in a remote area, please bare in mind that we need to charge fuel money to cover costs for transporting you to and from activities. The fuel costs provided cover the total cost of the trip, so the more volunteers that go, the cheaper the fuel costs become per volunteer. (Please note that the prices quoted is for 4 and more volunteers and if there is less it will be subject to change)
- It is up to the volunteers to negotiate where they wish to go on days off.
- Consider the location of activites eg. if people want to do more than one activity in one day or if volunteers wish to do different activites on the same day, then this must be feasible for the driver.
- You do not have to do any activities on your day off if you do not want to; you are more than welcome to just relax at Vaal Rock if you wish. However due to time constraints and staff commitments it will not be possible for you to go and spend time with the cheetahs on your day off.
- We will always endeavour to take you where you wish to go on a day off, but please bare in mind that this is Africa and things do not always go according to plan. Vehicle problems and fires etc may affect our ability to take you to your first choice activity, please try to be understanding and patient about this.
- The prices provided are subject to change.
ChaZen Nature Conservation & Education Center
Visit this amazing Reserve.
Situated approximately 12km from the town of Vredefort.
If you are not going to the Kruger Park while you are here, this is the place to visit. With all the animals you would expect to see except Elephant.
Focusing on Education, Conserving, Enhancing and Protecting our wildlife heritage.
- Cost ZAR250
- Travel cost ZAR120
Enjoy a day out in town!
- Have lunch and a outing to our local town, wondering the streets full of arts and crafts, restaurants and antique shops
- Website: www.parys.co.za
- Fuel Cost: ZAR80 per person
- Travel time: 20 minutes
- Experiance a thrilling tandem skydive over the breathtaking scenery of the Vredefort Dome and the town of Parys.
- Website: www.skydiveparys.co.za
- Activity cost: Will vary on the option,
- Fuel Cost : ZAR80 per person
- Travel time: 15 minutes
- Subject to availability. Jumping takes place mostly on Saturday and Sunday. We will be more than willing to take you on either of these days.
Depending on the flight route, you can see the Dell Cheetah Centre from the sky!
Hot Air Balloon Adventure
Gentle ride in the sky
- Activity cost: tba
- Fuel Cost: ZAR100 per person
- Travel time: 30 minutes
Koepel Mega Zip Adventures
Soaring over the ground
- Activity cost: ZAR390
- Note this is a time specific activity, Tuesday to Sunday 09:00, 11;00, 13:00 and 15:00. Subject to availability.
- Fuel cost per person: ZAR150
- Travel time: 30 minutes
Parys River Spa
Lory Park Zoo
- Website: www.lorypark.co.za
- Activity cost: ZAR100 per person
- Open 7 days a week, 10:00 to 16:30.
- Fuel Cost: R250 per person
- Travel time: 2 hours
- Tea Garden available
- Website: www.monkeysanctuary.co.za
- Activity cost: ZAR275 per person
- Fuel Cost: ZAR350 If only one person, the full fuel cost is payable. If more than one, costs will be shared
- Travel time: 2 and a half to three hours.
- Coffee shop available
- Can be combined with Elephant Sanctuary tour (Check pricing) and/or Chameleon Village
- Website: www.elephantsanctuary.co.za
- Activity cost:
- Elephant Interaction Program: ZAR695 per person
- Elephant Back Riding (Optional Add-on): ZAR495 per person
- Fuel Cost: ZAR350, if only one person, the full fuel cost will be applicable. If more than one, the cost will be split accordingly.
- Travel time: 2 and a half to three hours
- Can be combined with Bush Baby tour (Check pricing) and/or Chameleon Village
- RESERVATIONS ESSENTIAL
- Website: www.chameleonvillage.co.za
- Fuel Cost: ZAR350, If only one person, the full fuel cost will be payable. If more than one, the cost will be split accordingly. per person
- Travel time: 2 and a half hours.
- The Chameleon Village may be combined with either the Bush Baby or Elephant Sanctuary.
Sterkfontein Caves / Maropeng
Cradle of mankind... World Heritage Site since 1999
- Website: www.maropeng.co.za
- Activity cost:
- Maronpeg: ZAR120 per person
- Sterkfontein Caves: ZAR165 per person
- Combination Ticket: ZAR190 per person
- Fuel Cost: ZAR350, if only one person, the full fuel cost is payable. If more than one the cost will be split accordingly.
- Travel time: 2 hours for Sterkfontein. Maropeng is another 20 minutes drive from the Sterkfontein Caves.